Owner'S Guide to Gout In Iguanas
Gout in iguanas is a condition that causes painful, swollen feet. It affects the joints and can lead to severe arthritic symptoms. You may be wondering what could cause such a condition.
Most iguanas suffer from this disease because they have been fed too much animal protein. These lizards can't digest animal protein very well. Uric acid, a byproduct of protein digestion, will eventually start to become stuck in the tissue of the joints leading to gout.
Although an Improper Diet is by Far the Most Common Cause, It is Not the Only One
Iguanas that experience frequent dehydration will also be particularly susceptible to this condition. This is usually caused by lack of clean water on a daily basis. Kidney damage resulting from various conditions can also cause gout.
- As mentioned at the beginning of this article, the main symptom of this disease is swollen, painful joints.
- Although tissue in the feet are usually affected, other areas such as the eyes may also turn out to be swollen.
- Most iguanas suffering from gout also experience lethargy or perhaps inactivity.
- Their scales and skin will also look unhealthy.
GOUT: Prevention and Treatment...
Watch this video to learn about all the preventive steps you can take to treat gout. Gout is a painful arthritis disorder where you can have excess of uric acid ...
Uric Acid and Gout Attacks Uric acid is an organic compound which when found in excessive levels in the body could lead to gout. Uric acid is made up of carbon, nitrogen, hydrogen, and oxygen and it affects the tendons, bodily tissues, and joints. Uric acid and gout attacks...
The first order of treatment is to administer anti-inflammatory drugs and corticosteroids. This will help reduce pain associated with arthritis attacks. In some cases, your iguana could even need surgery. Since incorrect care is usually the underlying cause of gout in iguanas, changes in care will also need to be implemented.
Gout is an incurable situation, so it's best to prevent it in the first place. What this means is making sure that you don't feed your iguana an excessive amount of animal protein. You will also need to provide fresh, clean water daily.
- There are many things all owners must eventually learn.
- If you want to learn how to take care of iguanas, then make sure you visit green-iguana-care.com today.
- Come learn about a wide variety of topics like common iguana diseases.